‹ Go back to overview
Chad, Mali, Niger,Senegal, Evaluation of the Initiative Solidarity, Health, Sahel (I3S)
Agence Française de Développement (AFD)
Senegal, Mali, Niger, Chad
Field of Expertise:
Health Economics and Financing; Demand side financing; Demand side financing; Health Service Delivery; PHC/MNCH/RH/Nutrition/W&S; Reproductive Health / Maternal health / newborn health
Narrative description of project:
In May 2013, France launched a Health Solidarity Initiative for the Sahel (Initiative Solidarité Santé Sahel -I3S-) aiming to improve financial access to child care in six Sahel countries by supporting governments already (or on the verge to be) involved in establishing solidarity-based access systems. I3S is financed by the Solidarity Fund for Development (Fonds de solidarité pour le développement – FSD-) for an amount of €30 million (the FSD is resourced by two earmarked taxes: one on financial transactions and the special tax on airline tickets). I3S is managed by the Agence Française de Développement – AFD on the terms applied to ODA projects under Program 209. The I3S financing agreement between the State and AFD signed on 17 January 2014 confirmed the purpose of I3S (free access to health services for children under five). Of the six countries initially targeted, four have benefited (Chad, Mali, Niger and Senegal), and two have been excluded so far (Burkina Faso and Mauritania).
Description of services provided:
Following the methodology discussed and accepted by AFD, the evaluation was conducted in six phases:
• Framework note which was intended to complement and detail the initial methodology (consultation of key documents and interviews of resource persons in Europe)
• Participation in a seminar organized by the IRD (Research Institute for Development) for the presentation of their operational research projects regarding I3S projects
• Field phase: collection of additional documents and interviews of resource persons in the 4 countries
• Development of a specific evaluation report of projects funded by I3S
• Preparation of the I3S overall evaluation report
• Presentation of the key findings of the evaluation (including conclusions and recommendations) to the reference group (composed of representatives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Finance, AFD, IRD, and various NGOs) .