‹ Go back to overview
A3287 Malawi Medical Supplies Distribution Contract - Independent Technical Monitor
FCDO - Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office
Field of Expertise:
Medical Products, Technologies; PSCM, financing and cost/pricing; Procurement and Supply Chain Assessments & Strengthening
Narrative description of project:
hera has been providing the services of an Independent Technical Monitor to the
Government of Malawi established Central Medical Stores Trust (CMST) since 2014. The Trust operates as a commercial entity with the mandate to procure, warehouse and distribute pharmaceuticals and medical supplies to all public and Christian Health Association of Malawi (CHAM) health facilities in the country. The Government of the United Kingdom, through its Department for International Development (DFID), has provided financial support to third-party distribution contracts issued by the Malawi CMST and has supported CMST contract management through regular independent monitoring of contracted services. Royal Norwegian Embassy also jointly funded the CMST distribution of medicines; since 2017, payments have been managed by the Health Services Joint Fund (HSJF) Fiscal Agent.
Description of services provided:
Tasks of the Independent Technical Monitor included:
• Regularly assess and report on the distribution service provider’s management, monitoring, risk assessment and quality assurance processes under this contract, including any recommendations for improvement;
• Monitor and report on the distribution service provider’s implementation of their contracted obligations with CMST and assess and advise CMST and relevant DPs of any deviation from contracted requirements, with a particular focus on the timeliness and quality of distribution of health products to health facilities;
• Review and verify selected/sampled deliveries to health facilities to ensure accuracy, quality, and timeliness of reported deliveries;
• Assess the performance of CMST and the distribution service provider in ensuring they implement the contract to maximise efficiency and value for money;
• Assess the performance of CMST in managing the distribution service provider contract, and provide any recommendations for improvement;
• As required, appraise the distribution service provider’s quarterly reports, invoices, and other contracted milestone reports and submit appraisal comments to CMST and relevant DPs.